Thursday 28 May 2015

Tomorrowland

Tomorrowland, directed by Ratatouille and The Incredibles director Brad Bird, is a film based on one of the 'themed lands' that can be found in the Disney theme parks. The world is futuristic and the film attempts to follow suit. Released in time for the USA's national holiday, Memorial Day, the film surprisingly flopped during it's opening weekend, making back less than half of the overall production costs. This was visually represented when I sat in one of the largest cinema screens accompanied by maybe 20 other people. Surrounded by empty chairs, I was confused why the film hadn't drawn a larger audience but assumed it was because I was seeing the film at 9pm on a Monday night. 

I was certainly keen to see this film considering George Clooney's participation. I am not a huge fan, although my Mother is, but I'm always interested in the sorts of film's that Hollywood heavyweight's attach themselves to. And after seeing countless trailers for the film and an extended clip before Mad Max: Fury Road, I felt like I needed to see Tomorrowland. However, this will be one of those rare, shorter reviews because I don't really have much to say.

I felt like the film missed a step. The audience get's small and rather insignificant glimpses at Tomorrowland during the film and never get to experience that futuristic and altruistic world. I think this is a huge mistake on behalf of the filmmakers. Personally, I would have liked to have seen some of the technology and fashion for longer than the short clips included in the film. The longest exposure to Tomorrowland that the viewer gets is just before Casey's pin runs out. It is the outdated advertisement for the world that sparks her desire to relentlessly pursue her dream to visit the place. And the only person who can get her there is Frank, George Clooney, and Athena, Raffey Cassidy. 

Raffey Cassidy was absolutely fantastic in her role. At 13, Cassidy plays ageless, animatronic recruiter, Athena. I didn't realise that her character would feature throughout and would become so important to the plot's arc. She was truly fantastic, and once I took into account her age, I was really blown away. She outshone both Clooney and Britt Robertson (Casey) in every scene she was in. Cassidy rocked some stunts, martial arts and **SPOILERS** even an emotional death scene. I can not wait to see what she features in next and hope that she continues to pick strong roles. 

So that's it. One bad thing and one good thing. Because at the end of the day, the film had little else to offer on either side. Hopefully the producers manage to claw back all $190 million that they spent making the film.

1 comment:

  1. True. They could have done a lot with the concept of Tomorrowland but the movie fell short in effectively utilizing this potential. I also have a few thoughts on the film here: http://www.geoffreview.com/2015/05/flashbacks-from-future-tomorrowland.html

    ReplyDelete