Monday 11 May 2015

The Age of Adaline

I don't often eagerly anticipate this sort of film's release, but for weeks now I have been talking about The Age of Adaline with friends and begging for someone to see it with me. Admittedly my immediate attraction to this film was because of the time eras explored and the fashion in the film's trailer. The film was released here in the UK on May 8th and I rushed to the cinema on May 10th. I wasn't going to waste any time after my boyfriend agreed to see it with me!

For a film that features a strong leading female who suddenly stops ageing, it should be obvious that the film is not the most realistic feature this Summer. However, The Age of Adaline deals tactfully with the mystical and even tries to assign medical reasoning for her condition (which is predicted to be discovered in the next 20 years... it was actually a funny little moment). Such information is fed to viewers through my least favourite dramatic tool. The voiceover. The same voice heard in the trailer for the film is heard throughout to provide viewers with descriptive backstory and insight into character emotion.

As expected, the fashion throughout was wonderful. Subtle yet stunning. Lively shined in both casual and formal wear. My particular favourite outfits were her New Years Eve dress the night she meets Ellis and her casual hiking outfit from when she was dating William. But with several outfit changes through the film, there are many more outfits deserving of admiration. With the body that Lively has, very little would look unflattering on her but the careful and time-era-accurate styling helped her beauty beam through the cinema screen. And incase fashion is not your thing, Michiel Huisman (correct spelling - I fact checked) has a shirtless scene that is also a thing of beauty. Certainly the film was easy on the eye and simple to watch. 

This film is from the same team of producers who regularly work together on heart wrenching tales of lost love and forbidden romances. I was expecting some tears but instead only found myself teetering at the edge during two moments. **SPOILERS** The first scene where I found myself holding back tears and trying not to let myself go was when Adaline's dog is put down. We see how close she and Rhys, her King Charles partner in crime, are and it comes as a surprise that the dog dies. This scene is likely the beginning of Adaline's realisation that her constant running from her loved ones has left her lonely and reaching out for companionship. The second emotional scene was unsurprisingly at the climax of the film's story. Confronted by her former lover William, who is the father of her current love interest Ellis, Adaline runs for the last time. This leads to the films final turning point. Another accident. The result of which I will not spoil.

For what it was, this film was charming. I'm glad my expectations did not ruin my viewing experience and that I wasn't disappointed when I realised the film was just average. I would happily rewatch Lively live through the decades again sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment